Teaching Assistant, Primary Year Programme
Reports to: Homeroom Teacher / Primary Principal
Mercedes-Benz International School recognizes and promotes the role of the Teaching Assistant in promoting and supporting learning within the structure of the school. A Teaching Assistant’s primary responsibility is to assist the students in their learning in collaboration with the teacher, pastoral care and classroom management. He/she will work closely with the Classroom Teacher to meet the expectations and needs of the respective students. While carrying out their duties, the Teaching Assistant will exemplify the attributes of the IB Learner Profile and support Agency and Inquiry. In line with the IB Standards and Practices (A6), he/she will “promote open communication based on understanding and respect with the classroom teacher”. This is implicit in all communications within the school community and beyond.
Teaching and learning:
- Work with small groups /individual students, within the classroom to facilitate greater differentiation
- Contribute to the planning of units and offer suggestions for day-to-day learning engagements; however, it is NOT the responsibility of a teaching assistant to do the day to day planning, even for small groups.
- Help to keep observational notes on students for formative and summative assessments. Assist in the taking of photos and compiling Digital Portfolios.
- Assist in the general day-to-day organisational/administrational tasks such as attendance, printing, photocopying.
- Assist with posting notice via email, Google classroom, Seesaw and weekly updates.
- Work collaboratively with the teachers and students to develop effective displays that support learning.
- Assist the Class Teacher to collect teaching aids both physical and electronic and document for future use on Managebac.
- In PS and PYP1/2 escort the classes to and remain with them at specialist lessons. Escort PYP 2 to PYP 4 to Language classes in the B block.
- Assist the Specialist Teachers during classes when needed.
- Participate and lead in an Assembly/Celebrations of Learning.
- Be present to “Meet and Greet” students on arrival each morning with the teacher.
- Assist the teacher with end-of-the-semester reports by offering evidence and observations for the teacher to include in their report writing.
- Be familiar with the PYP philosophy and methodology. (Making the PYP Happen)
- Attend and contribute to all relevant weekly curriculum meetings.
- Attend and contribute to all relevant PD and meetings, both section and whole school.
- Apply for local /national courses that will impact directly on their performance at MBIS via the PD protocol.
- Check emails daily for any messages and bring the messages to the notice of the class teacher for responses if needed. This should be done before 8.10 and then after 14.20
- Ensure you read the daily bulletin before the start of the school day.
- Ensure you check your school email at least twice a day, before the school starts and at the end of the school day.
- Respond to all surveys and queries in a timely manner.
- Accompany the students to the reception at the end of the school day, and monitor their departure in buses/cars.
- Accompany the class during field trips both day and overnight.
- Carry out any responsibility connected with special events such as Celebrations, Fun Days, Concert etc.
- Carry out Break/Lunch duty as assigned by the Leadership Team.
- Carry out the supervision of children in a designated area, during events such as PTA meetings, student conferences or any other events, as requested by the Leadership Team.
Minimum first degree – preferably a BEd or MEd.
Application process: Please send the following documents by email to email@example.com:
Letter of application
CV/Resume – (including at least 2 professional referees – full name, details of their positions, professional email id’s, telephone numbers.- They will not be contacted without the prior consent of the candidate)
Deadline for Application: 15th May, 2019
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.